You can prepare for the outbreak of a disease or pandemic using the following information.
Before a Pandemic:
- Store a two week supply of water and food.
- Check your regular prescription drugs to ensure you have a supply in your home.
- Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand.
- Talk with family members about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.
- Get involved in your community as it works to prepare for an influenza pandemic.
During a Pandemic:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. If you are sick, stay away from others.
- If possible, stay home from work, school, and stay in your house if you are sick.
- Remember to cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits, including getting lots of sleep, being physically active, managing stress, drinking plenty of fluids, and eating nutritious food.