It is important to make sure your family has a plan in case of an emergency. Before an emergency happens, sit down together and decide how you will get in contact with each other, where you will go and what you will do in an emergency. Write up your emergency plan and keep a copy of this plan in your emergency supply kit or another safe place where you can access it in the event of a disaster.
Here are five easy steps to help your family prepare for an emergency:
1. Make a Plan: With your family and friends, find and write down important phone numbers of family and friends and share the list with your family. Give one member of the team a key to your home.
2. Make an Emergency Kit: The kit should include food & water, flashlight, first aid kit, battery-operated radio, cash, cell phone/charger, extra batteries. Also include additional prescriptions and other medical supplies.
3. Stay Informed: Make sure you know your community’s nearest shelter and how to get news during an emergency. Find out your community’s evacuation route and make sure your family also knows the route.
4. Make copies of Important Papers: These include birth certificate/passport, insurance policies and your will. Also include any Medicare cards, you and your family medical records, and any doctor’s contact numbers.
5. Sign up for Direct Deposit: Ensure your social security check, or paycheck, goes directly to your checking or savings account.
Downloadable PDF Form for Families to Print and Fill Out