Older Americans can prepare for emergencies through a number of ways:
- You can create a network of neighbors, relatives, friends and co-workers to aid you in an emergency.
- Discuss your needs and let appropriate people know how to operate necessary equipment.
- If appropriate, discuss your needs with your employer.
- Seniors should keep specialized items ready, depending on your needs, these could include extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen, catheters, medication, food for service animals and any other items you might need.
- Keep a list of the type and model numbers of the medical devices you require.
- Make provisions for medications that require refrigeration.
- Make arrangements for any assistance to get to a shelter before an emergency or disaster